In the cold, pixelated realm of Skyrim, I once found myself at a crossroads, much like a low-level character unsure of which skill tree to invest in. The echoing howls of werewolves from the distant mountains sent shivers down my spine, while the seductive whispers of vampires from shadowy corners tempted my very soul. I remember thinking, “To bite or to howl? That’s the real quest.” And trust me, fellow gamer, I wasn’t the only one. Many adventurers in our vast gaming community have grappled with these very choices:
- Should I embrace the shadows as a vampire or let out a primal roar as a werewolf?
- How does one even become a creature of the night or a beast of the wild?
- And once you’ve chosen a path, is there a way back? A respawn point, if you will?
I felt the weight of these questions, like an inventory filled with too many dragon bones. And that’s when I realized: we all could use a trusty strategy guide, a beacon in this digital darkness. So, whether you’re a seasoned Dragonborn or a newbie still finding your way around Riverwood, this guide is your enchanted map.
Ready to unlock the next level of your Skyrim journey? Equip your reading glasses and let’s dive right in!
Shoud You Become A Vampire or a Werewolf in Skyrim?
Ah, the age-old question for Skyrim enthusiasts: to embrace the shadows as a vampire or to howl at the moon as a werewolf? Both paths offer unique experiences, abilities, and challenges. Let’s dive deep into the world of Tamriel and explore these two supernatural entities, shall we?
Vampires: The Lords of the Night
- Vampire Lord Form: Once you’re deep enough into the Dawnguard DLC, you can transform into a Vampire Lord. This form grants you powerful spells, the ability to hover, and a menacing appearance that would make any mortal tremble.
- Nightly Abilities: Vampires have enhanced abilities at night. Your Illusion spells are more potent, and you can sneak around more effectively.
- Resistances: You’ll gain a 100% resistance to disease and poison. Quite handy in a world filled with venomous creatures and plagued individuals.
- Vampiric Drain & Seduction: Feed on the living to maintain your strength. You can also calm enemies for a short period, making them easier prey.
- Sunlight Weakness: During the day, your health, magicka, and stamina won’t regenerate. This can be a significant handicap, especially during prolonged battles under the sun.
- Popularity Issues: As your vampirism progresses, NPCs will start to notice and may even attack you on sight. It’s not easy being infamous.
- Constant Thirst: You’ll need to feed regularly to keep your powers in check and avoid becoming a monstrous version of yourself.
Werewolves: The Beasts of Tamriel
- Beast Form: This transformation turns you into a massive, powerful creature. You’ll have enhanced strength, speed, and a set of deadly claws.
- No Equipment Needed: In beast form, who needs weapons or armor? Your natural abilities are more than enough to tear through enemies.
- Increased Health and Stamina: Even outside of the beast form, being a werewolf grants you a bonus to your health and stamina.
- Resistances: Werewolves have a 100% resistance to diseases. No more worrying about contracting rockjoint from that pesky wolf bite!
- No Rested Bonus: Werewolves can’t benefit from the rested bonus after sleeping. It seems the beast within doesn’t like to be dormant.
- Silver Weakness: Silver weapons deal more damage to you. Beware of those carrying such weapons, especially the Silver Hand, a group of werewolf hunters.
- Once a Night: You can only transform once a day, so you’ll need to choose your moment wisely.
Choosing between becoming a vampire or a werewolf in Skyrim largely depends on your playstyle and what kind of challenges you’re looking to face.
- If you enjoy sneaking around, using magic, and don’t mind the daylight restrictions, the vampire path might be for you. Plus, the Dawnguard DLC offers a rich storyline for vampire enthusiasts.
- On the other hand, if you like the idea of unleashing raw power, tearing through enemies, and running wild under the moonlight, then the life of a werewolf could be your calling.
In the end, both paths offer unique experiences that can significantly change your Skyrim journey. Whichever you choose, remember to have fun and immerse yourself in the rich lore and adventures that Tamriel offers. Happy adventuring!
How to Become a Vampire in Skyrim
Ah, so you’ve decided to embrace the dark side and become one of the immortal children of the night in Skyrim? Very well, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you on your journey to vampirism:
1. Contracting Sanguinare Vampiris:
- The first step to becoming a vampire is to contract the disease called “Sanguinare Vampiris.”
- You can get this disease by being attacked by a common vampire found in caves, dungeons, or roaming the wilderness of Skyrim. When they use their Vampiric Drain spell on you, there’s a chance you’ll contract the disease.
2. Wait for Three Days:
- Once you’ve contracted Sanguinare Vampiris, you won’t become a vampire immediately.
- You need to wait for three in-game days without curing it. After the third day, you’ll transition into a full-fledged vampire.
- During these three days, you might notice messages like “You feel a strange thirst as the sun sets…” indicating the disease’s progression.
3. Avoiding the Cure (Optional but Important):
- If you decide you want to become a vampire, make sure you don’t cure the disease.
- Visiting any shrine or using a Cure Disease potion will remove Sanguinare Vampiris from your system.
4. Embrace Your New Powers:
- After the transformation, you’ll gain new abilities and weaknesses as a vampire.
- You can feed on sleeping NPCs to keep your vampirism in check. The longer you go without feeding, the stronger your vampire abilities become, but you’ll also become more monstrous in appearance, and NPCs will react negatively or even become hostile.
5. Becoming a Vampire Lord (Dawnguard DLC):
- If you have the Dawnguard DLC, there’s a more “official” way to become a powerful Vampire Lord.
- Early in the Dawnguard questline, you’ll be given a choice to either continue aiding the Dawnguard or to join the vampires. If you choose to join the vampires, Lord Harkon will offer you his blood, turning you into a Vampire Lord with enhanced powers and abilities.
6. Managing Your Vampirism:
- As a vampire, you’ll have to manage your thirst. Feeding regularly will make you less powerful but more socially acceptable, while refraining from feeding will increase your powers but make you an outcast.
- Remember, sunlight will weaken you, so it’s often best to travel and engage in combat during the night or in dark areas.
7. Curing Vampirism (Just in Case):
- If you ever have second thoughts about your vampiric life, there’s a way out.
- Seek out Falion in Morthal. He’s a mage who specializes in vampirism and can perform a ritual to cure you, but you’ll need a filled Black Soul Gem for the ritual.
Embrace your new life, and remember: the shadows are your friends, and the night is your domain. Enjoy your eternal journey in Skyrim!
How to Become a Werewolf in Skyrim
Ah, the call of the wild beckons! Becoming a werewolf in Skyrim is a thrilling experience, granting you immense power and the ability to run wild under the moonlight. Here’s your step-by-step guide to embracing the beast within:
1. Join the Companions:
- Your journey begins in Whiterun. Seek out Jorrvaskr, the mead hall of the Companions, Skyrim’s group of honorable mercenaries.
- Speak to the members and express your interest in joining them. You’ll be directed to Vilkas, who will test your combat skills.
2. Complete Companions Quests:
- As you progress through the Companions’ questline, you’ll undertake various tasks and missions.
- Keep completing these quests until you’re given the quest titled “The Silver Hand.”
3. The Ritual:
- During “The Silver Hand” quest, you’ll accompany Aela the Huntress to the Underforge (a secret chamber beneath Jorrvaskr).
- Inside, you’ll witness a ritual and be offered the blood of Aela, who is a werewolf. Drinking her blood will transform you into a werewolf for the first time.
4. Embrace Your New Form:
- As a werewolf, you gain the ability to transform once a day, enhancing your strength, speed, and health.
- While in beast form, you can feed on the corpses of your enemies to extend the duration of your transformation and heal yourself.
- Over time, feeding will also unlock additional werewolf perks, enhancing your abilities further.
5. Managing Your Lycanthropy:
- Remember, while in beast form, you can’t access your inventory, spells, or shouts. Plan your transformations wisely.
- Also, while you’re a werewolf, you won’t gain the rested bonus from sleeping.
6. Curing Your Lycanthropy (If You Change Your Mind):
- If you ever wish to renounce your beastly nature, there’s a way. Later in the Companions’ questline, you’ll have the opportunity to cure yourself.
- The quest “Purity” allows you to cure your lycanthropy by using a Glenmoril Witch’s head at the same Underforge where you became a werewolf. However, once cured, you can’t become a werewolf again through the Companions (unless you use the Dawnguard DLC method).
7. Dawnguard DLC – Multiple Transformations:
- If you have the Dawnguard DLC, after completing the entire Companions questline, you can speak to Aela to become a werewolf again if you’ve cured yourself.
- The DLC also introduces the “Ring of Hircine,” allowing multiple werewolf transformations per day.
Run free, champion of the wilds! Embrace the power of the beast and let your howls echo through the mountains of Skyrim.
Ah, fellow adventurer, our journey through the mystical choices of Skyrim has been as epic as a battle with Alduin himself. We’ve delved deep into the lore, faced our fears, and emerged with newfound knowledge. To recap our epic quest:
- The age-old dilemma: Vampire or Werewolf?
- The dark allure of Vampirism and its challenges.
- The primal power of Lycanthropy and its unique perks.
- The intricate steps to becoming a Vampire.
- The wild path to embracing the Werewolf.
- The possibility of reversing these choices and returning to one’s mortal self.
As our story concludes, remember that every choice in Skyrim, much like in life, shapes your destiny. Curious about the next chapter in your digital journey? Dive into the “What Next?” section!
I always believe that knowledge without action is like an unsheathed sword – it has potential but needs direction. Here are some actionable steps to enhance your Skyrim experience:
- Experiment with Both: Create separate save files and experience both paths.
- Join Online Forums: Engage with fellow gamers and share your experiences.
- Mod Your Game: Explore mods that enhance or alter the vampire and werewolf experiences.
- Role-Play: Fully immerse yourself by creating a backstory for your character’s choice.
- Document Your Journey: Start a gaming blog or vlog detailing your supernatural adventures.