Since its launch, PS5 has created a massive buzz in the virtual world of gaming. Being an avid gamer myself, how could I stay away from all the excitement for long?
After setting the PS5 up with my 40 inches 4K LED, I went to fetch my Bluetooth speaker from the adjacent room to connect it with my console. But no matter how hard I tried, it just wouldn’t let me connect the speaker to the console.
A stark revelation came up during my fruitless struggles.
Can A PS5 Connect To A Bluetooth Speaker? The answer is both yes and no. PS5 (just like the PS4) does not support Bluetooth speakers (or headsets) directly. However, you can connect a Bluetooth speaker to your PlayStation 5 indirectly by using a PS5 Bluetooth audio adapter.
After you have plugged in the Bluetooth adapter, you’ll be able to connect your PS5 to your Bluetooth speaker and enjoy high-quality audio from your Bluetooth speaker.
Now that you know that you can hook your speaker to your console, it’s time to shed some light on the more essential details to help you walk through the process.
Can A PS5 Connect To A Bluetooth Speaker?
A PS5 has essentially 3 ports that can be used to connect a Bluetooth speaker adapter:
1. USB-A input port
2. Type-C input port
3. The Aux jack on the DualSense Controller
You can only connect a Bluetooth speaker to the PS5 via a Bluetooth USB adapter or a Type-C adapter. That’s because the PlayStation 5 inherently doesn’t support Bluetooth audio.
And I really don’t know why Sony won’t take this issue seriously and listen to us gamers by installing a built-in Bluetooth adapter.
If you want to use a Bluetooth speaker anyway, you need an external Bluetooth USB or Type-C adapter. You can plug the adapter into the USB (or Type-C, whichever you have) port on your PS5 or on your TV to connect and use it.
That allows you to use your speaker via Bluetooth. The only unfortunate thing here is that you have to purchase a Bluetooth USB adapter separately and connect it to a USB port on the PS5. Plug in the adapter to the console and connect it to the speaker via Bluetooth.
Once you have done this, the sound will come from your speaker.
Unfortunately, Bluetooth adapters are not included in the package, and you’ll have to buy them separately from a third party. Also commonly referred to as a Bluetooth dongle, this accessory is not costly.
You can get several affordable options on Amazon.
If you are looking for an inexpensive one that suits your needs, I’d recommend the Avantree USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Adapter.
Now that we know we can connect our new console to a Bluetooth speaker, let’s understand exactly which steps to follow to connect a PS5 to a Bluetooth speaker and where to get the relevant accessories.
How To Connect A Bluetooth Speaker To PS5 Using a USB adapter?
Connecting a Bluetooth speaker to your PS5 is pretty easy when using a USB Bluetooth dongle. Below I’ll show you how to do it.
What you’ll need:
- PS5 + controller
- Skull & Co. USB Bluetooth adapter
- Plug in the Skull & Co. USB Bluetooth adapter to the front of your PS5 using the USB-C slot. Turn it on.
- Now on your PS5, open the settings from the top-right corner of the dashboard after plugging in the Bluetooth adapter.
- Then to ensure that your PS5 has recognized the adapter, scroll down and go to ‘Accessories’.
- Under ‘General’ settings, select ‘Bluetooth Accessories’.
- Under ‘Accessories Found’, you should see any available adapters that are set to Pairing Mode.
- Select your USB-Bluetooth adapter as Default Audio Device
- Next, follow your Bluetooth adapter instructions to pair your Bluetooth speaker.
- Once your speaker is paired you need to set it as the default audio device.
- Go to ‘Setting’> ‘Sound Settings’.
- Now select ‘Audio Output’ and then ‘Output Device’.
- Under this option, you’ll see a list of audio devices. Select your Bluetooth speaker as default.
Here you go, you’ve done it. You just have to plug in the Bluetooth adapter, pair it, and then select it as your default audio output.
How to connect a Bluetooth speaker using an Aux Bluetooth adapter
You may have noticed that connecting a Bluetooth speaker using a USB Bluetooth adapter is not exactly straightforward. You’d think, given how popular Bluetooth speakers are these day’s Sony would give you an easy way to connect them to your PS5?
Well, actually, they have given you an easier way:
You can use the Aux jack on the DualSense controller, along with an Aux Bluetooth adapter to connect a Bluetooth Speaker.
Here’s how to do it…
What you’ll need:
- SONRU AUX to Bluetooth adapter
- DualSense controller
- First, buy the SONRU AUX to Bluetooth adapter. You’ll need it for this to work
- Once your Adapter has arrived, make sure it is fully charged before using it. It can be charged using the supplied Micro-USB
- Once the adapter is fully charged, plug the supplied short AUx cable into it.
- Next, plug the other end of the aux cable into the bottom of your DualSense controller.
- Your PlayStation 5 should automatically detect that an aux lead has been plugged into your DualSense controller. The PS5 will not push the sound out through the Aux instead of your TV.
- Now you’ll need to pair your Bluetooth speaker to the Bluetooth adapter. Follow both the Bluetooth adapter and the speaker’s instructions.
- Once you have paired your speaker with the Bluetooth adapter, you should hear sound coming from your speaker.
- And that’s it, you’ve paired your Bluetooth speaker with your PS5.
- You may notice that the Bluetooth Dongle hangs down from the DualSense controller. To solve this, I bought a roll of Velcro tape. I then applied one part of the velcro to the back of the DualSense controller, and one part to the Bluetooth adapter. That way, you can easily remove the adapter for charging.
- Remember the adapter will need charging every few days.
If you’re reading this, you were most likely redirected from a post teaching you how to record or live-stream your gameplay. Open Broadcaster Software Studio, or OBS Studio for short, is one of...
With the release of Medal Of Honor: Above and Beyond for the Oculus Rift, I just had to try it! It’s an amazing game and I wanted to share the gameplay with my friends. Of course, you can...