In the world of VR gaming, there have always been two constants: change and innovation. Each new console or technology brings with it new ways to play, new challenges to overcome, and fresh graphics that make you feel like you’re really in the middle of the action. The introduction of Oculus Quest was a giant leap in VR gaming, but whether it can work with the evergreen PS4 or not is still not clear enough for many.
One of my cousins is a huge virtual reality fan. He’s a PC gamer and owns several VR headsets like Valve Index and Oculus Quest. We often talk about new technology and innovations in VR. He was planning on buying a PS4 and recently asked me if his Oculus Quest would work with PS4 or not. That’s what I will be answering in this article.
Does Oculus Quest work with PS4? The answer is both yes and no. Oculus Quest is not compatible with PS4, and there is also no official support between the two devices. But thankfully, there is a way to use the Oculus Quest with a PS4. You can play VR games on Oculus Quest with PS4 using SideQuest, the Chiaki app, or a Virtual Desktop connection.
The Oculus Quest 2 was released just last year, and it offers a lot of new features that the other VR headsets don’t have. One feature is that it doesn’t need to be tethered to a computer or console, so you can move around freely without worrying about getting tangled in wires. But the big question on everyone’s mind is, does the Oculus Quest work with PS4?
Now that you know that it can work with your PS4 despite not being officially supported, let’s get on with how exactly you can connect Oculus Quest with your favorite console.
Does the Oculus Quest Work With PS4?
PlayStation VR was one of the first high-end headsets to be released. But it’s now becoming outdated for various reasons, such as a cumbersome wired connection. But with the release of Oculus Quest, gamers are once again wondering how they can play PS4 with this new, improved VR headset with more features.
The straightforward answer is simple; you can’t. You can’t directly connect your Oculus Quest headset to a PS4 due to the consoles’ incompatibility with this VR headset.
Theoretically, you could connect the Oculus headset with the PS4 with the help of a 3.0 USB port. But, due to its advanced features, when you connect your console to an Oculus Rift, the PS4 won’t know what it should do with virtual reality headgear.
The problem lies in how these two systems work; there are differences in software, controls, and tracking capabilities. So before you buy an Oculus Quest headset, you should be mentally prepared beforehand to face the compatibility issues while connecting it with your PS4.
However, a few methods can help you connect the Oculus Quest to your console to play VR games. I will discuss them in the next section.
How Do I Connect Oculus to PS4?
You may be very excited to play their favorite games on Oculus Quest, but you may need some patience for the process and in-depth knowledge. Here’s how you can connect your Oculus to PS4.
Both of these methods will require the use of PS Remote Play. To achieve a satisfying gaming experience, you’d need to connect your Oculus Quest to PS4 by following the two methods I have mentioned below.
- Using Virtual Desktop
An alternative and comparatively more straightforward option is to use a Virtual Desktop for this purpose. You’ll just have to mirror your PS Remote Play screen onto your Oculus Quest to dive into virtual reality gameplay.
Here’s how you can do it.
- Download PS Remote Play on your PC or Mac from the official link.
- Run the installation file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the app (and download the additional software).
- From the function screen, go to [Settings] > [Remote Play Connection Settings], and then turn on [Enable Remote Play].
Also, ensure that the options [Stay Connected to the Internet] and [Enable Turning on PS4 from Network] have also been turned on in the settings.
- Launch [PS Remote Play] on your PC, and select [Sign In to PSN]. Sign in with the same account that you use for your PS4 console. You can also configure the video quality settings to set the frame rate and resolution.
- Once you have signed in, select [PS4]. The Remote Play app will search for your console and connect to it.
- Now mirror your PC screen onto your Oculus Quest.
- Put on the headset and enjoy the immersive VR gaming experience.
If you face any lag or latency during the gameplay, ensure that your internet connection is fast and stable. Sony recommends a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps for best performance.
However, if you are still not able to make it work, you can always try the second option I’ve mentioned below.
- Using SideQuest
The first option involves installing the SideQuest app on your PC. SideQuest is an open-source place to get more gaming apps for your Oculus Quest. This application makes sideloading content onto your Oculus Quest a super-easy way to enjoy some cutting-edge gaming content in VR.
Here’s how to use it to connect your Oculus to PS4.
- Install SideQuest on your PC.
- Find and download an APK from SideQuest to install PS Remote Play onto your Oculus headset.
- Once you have installed the PS Remote Play app, connect it to your PS4 by following the steps I’ve mentioned in the previous method.
After connecting your PS4 to Remote Play in Oculus, you are in for a unique virtual reality gaming experience. Just go ahead and start playing your favorite games right from your PS4.
Some reported issues include Remote Play not working properly on Oculus due to increased lag. You can resolve it by ensuring that your network connection is fast and stable.
- By Installing Chiaki app
There’s also a third and somewhat less recommended method to connect your Oculus Quest with PS4. I won’t recommend it because it uses a third-party PS Remote Play app, “Chiaki.” Chiaki is a free and ‘Open Source Software’ for PS4 Remote Play.
- Install SideQuest on your PC.
- Find and download the Chiaki app from SideQuest and install it on your Oculus headset.
- If your PS4 is on your local network, is turned on, or in standby mode, Chiaki should be able to find it. Otherwise, you can add your console manually in the app by clicking the “+” sign.
- Now register your console on the Chiaki app. To do this on your PS4, simply go to [Settings] > [Remote Play] > [Add Device].
- Simply double-click on your console now in Chiaki’s main window to start Remote Play.
Keep in mind that this app is not endorsed or certified by Sony. So only use this method if the first two methods aren’t working for you.
If you are stuck or don’t know how to mirror your PC to your Oculus headset, the following section is just for you.
How To Cast To Your Computer With Oculus Quest
Casting is a way to share what you see in the VR on other devices around you or vice versa. You can cast to your mobile, PC, or any supported device.
Before starting, make sure that both the Oculus VR headset and device are connected on the same Wi-Fi network, so the casting works well without latency and interruption.
- On your computer, go to oculus.com/casting with Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge and log in to your Oculus account.
- Put your headset on and press the Oculus icon on your controller to open the universal menu.
- Select [Sharing], then select [Cast]. Select [Computer], then select [Next].
- Select [Done].
If Oculus Quest and the PC/mobile aren’t connected to the same network, Oculus won’t list the other device.
So that’s how you’ll be able to play your favorite games on Oculus Quest with your PS4. But with Sony releasing their own PS VR 2 headset in 2022 or 2023, you may not have to go through all these hassles to enjoy your PS4 games in VR for long.
PSVR is an excellent platform that is an excellent alternative to Oculus Quest, which we will learn about in the next section.
What Are The Best Alternatives To Oculus Quest On PS4?
If you’re like most people, chances are the Oculus Quest has entranced you. It’s a fantastic piece of VR hardware that offers an entirely wireless virtual reality experience.
However, if you happen to own a PS4 instead of a PC, you might be wondering what your best option is. Well, don’t worry – I’m here to help! Let’s take a look at the PSVR, the best alternatives to Oculus Quest on PS4.
The popularity of video games on PS4 has never been higher. But as technology improves, more people are looking for ways to enjoy their favorite pastime even more – which is where PlayStation VR comes in!
This revolutionary VR headset from Sony offers a whole new gaming world with an immersive experience with the PS4 that no other VR system can surpass. Launched in 2016, it has been among the best-selling high-end VR devices ever. Given its popularity, I’m pretty sure that Sony will continue to improve its VR or even AR features in its future version (the PS VR 2).
Let’s briefly go through its pros and cons.
- The PlayStation virtual reality headset is affordable and perfect for anyone who wants to step inside the world of their favorite games but doesn’t have a hefty budget. PS VR’s price averages around USD 300 while its competitors, like HTC Vive, can go up to USD 600.
- Oculus Quest and other expensive VR headsets need pricy gaming computers to function with PS4. But you won’t need anything other than the console itself for PS VR. PS VR can do it using only the PlayStation 4’s built-in GPU, without any expensive PC setup.
- While many people worry about the lag time when it comes to virtual reality, Sony has made sure that their Playstation VR is responsive and latency-free. PS VR’s response rate hovers around 18ms – or 0.002 seconds faster than the acceptable latency levels before you notice any delays in movement in your game.
- PS VR is one of the most exciting VR gaming platforms. There are so many fantastic games, and they’re all constantly being updated with new content! From first-person shooting to puzzles – you’ll be able to find something for any genre here that suits your preferences.
- The current version of PS VR supports resolutions of up to 1080×960 pixels. However, its competitors are comparatively advanced. For instance, Oculus Quest supports 1832×1920 pixels. The difference between quality and performance is quite stark.
- PS VR doesn’t have room-scale VR ability. Its competitors, like HTC Vive, support room-scale VR, thereby allowing you to move around freely while gaming.
- Connecting the PS VR to your PS4 is a lengthy and troublesome process involving attaching many wires and cords.
As a suggestion to make it easier, the PS4 itself could power the processing unit, and the headset could have an attached set of earpieces instead of a separate pair of headphones.
- It’s now been more than five years since PS VR’s release. And its latest version, the PS VR 2, will be out in 2022. With the advancements in technologies, it is expected that the newer version will support enhanced features and a higher resolution to surpass its competitors.
Such updated features will render the PS VR redundant or obsolete in the near future.