Mice and keyboards have been around for a long time, and they offer some advantages when it comes to gaming. They provide much more precision than PS4 controllers and allow you to react more quickly in games. They also make it easier to navigate menus and other on-screen elements on PS4. For such reasons, many players look for PS4 games that support a keyboard and mouse.
This Sunday afternoon, I was scrolling through my Facebook feed when I came across a post from my brother’s girlfriend, Ashley, about the new PS4 game she could play with a keyboard. In the comment section of that post, people wondered whether there were any other good PS4 games with keyboard and mouse support for PlayStation 4.
The comments caught my eye and prompted me to write about the top PS4 games that supported the use of a mouse and keyboard and how to use them.
What PS4 Games Support Keyboard And Mouse And How To Use Them? There are several PS4 games with keyboard and mouse support, like Call of Duty, Paragon, and Fortnite. You can connect the wired mouse and keyboard to the PS4 through USB ports. Just use the USB dongles for a wireless mouse or keyboard or connect them via Bluetooth.
The use of keyboard and mouse for PS4 is crucial in first-person shooters and strategy games, where you need to move your character or cursor with pinpoint accuracy. Getting such a serious edge in competitive multiplayer games has made players look for those PS4 games that support using keyboard and mouse.
This post will tell you which PS4 games support keyboard and mouse and how to use them. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
What PS4 Games Support Keyboard and Mouse?
While some people may be aware that the PS4 supports keyboard and mouse input, not everyone knows what PS4 games work best with this control scheme.
So here’s our list for some great options in terms of playstyle!
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Call of Duty is mainly played for its exciting multiplayer version. And playing with a mouse and keyboard gives an advantage over those playing with DualShock controllers.
- Final Fantasy XIV
Another massively multiplayer online RPG that can give you a totally unique, improved, and different experience on keyboard and mouse instead of the PS4 controllers.
- They Are Billions
Among the top PS4 strategy games, it can benefit hugely from the fine controls that a keyboard and the mouse provide.
Here are some other classic PS4 games that support the keyboard and mouse.
|Best PS4 Games That Support Keyboard and Mouse
|Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
|Call of Duty: Warzone
|Elder Scrolls Online
|DC Universe Online
|Ark: Survival Evolved
|Deep Rock Galactic
|Mount & Blade: Warband
|Risk of Rain 2
|The Sims 4
|Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
So whether you are a PC gamer looking to make the jump to console gaming or a console gamer interested in using a keyboard and mouse on your PS4, these games will make your transition much smoother and unforgettable.
Now that you have the list of some fantastic games noted down, let’s get to know how to connect your keyboard and mouse to your PS4.
How to Setup a Keyboard and Mouse for PS4?
Whether you’re a PC gamer looking to make the jump to console, or you’re just looking for a more precise way to control your games, this section will show you how to set up a keyboard and mouse on PS4. It’s surprisingly easy and can provide a significant advantage in certain games.
The PS4 is a great gaming console, but it’s not perfect. While many of the best games on this platform use controller input exclusively or primarily, some do actually support the keyboard and mouse. But for that, you’ll be required to connect your mouse and keyboard to your PS4 first.
With PS4, you can use any standard keyboard and mouse to get the job done. There’s neither any need for extra or third-party hardware, nor is there any OS manipulation or tampering involved.
Here’s how you can connect a keyboard and mouse to your PS4.
- Via USB
- Wireless connection
- Via Bluetooth
1. Connect a Keyboard and Mouse to PS4 Via USB
- Plug your keyboard and mouse into the USB ports on your console. These are the same USB ports that are used to charge your DualShock 4 controllers.
- After a few seconds, the PS4 should automatically recognize both devices.
- The PS4 will then ask which profile you’d like to associate the keyboard and mouse with. Once you’ve made your selection, you’ll be able to use both devices with your PS4.
- If you want to customize your setting, like the pointer speed of the mouse or language settings of your keyboard, go to Settings > Devices > External Keyboard (Or Mouse). Here you can tweak the settings of either of your external devices.
2. Connect a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse to PS4
- Turn on the keyboard and mouse first.
- Connect your keyboard and mouse adapters (wireless dongles) to the PS4 USB ports.
- Wait for a few seconds while the PS4 detects both the dongles.
- The keyboard and mouse should connect automatically. You can also check the settings (as with the wired version) to ensure that both the devices are being recognized.
- Go to Settings > Devices > External Keyboard (Or Mouse) to customize the settings, like pointer speed or language.
3. Connect a Keyboard and Mouse to PS4 Via Bluetooth
- Turn on the keyboard and mouse and put them in the pairing/discoverable mode. See their user manual for further instructions in this regard.
- Go to the Settings menu and then to Devices > Bluetooth Devices. The PS4 will start searching for nearby Bluetooth devices automatically.
- The PS4 will detect your keyboard and mouse and ask which profile you’d like to associate them with. Once you’ve made your selection, you’ll be able to use both devices with your PS4.
See how straightforward the process was? No fuss, no hassle, no special techniques or tweaking the software.
And what’s more helpful, almost every mouse and keyboard are compatible with PS4, whether it’s wired or wireless.
Now that you know how to connect them with your favorite console, I’m going to tell you about the features and qualities of a good gaming mouse and keyboard.
What to Look for in a Gaming Mouse and Keyboard for PS4?
Whether you’re a PC gamer who wants to try out console gaming or just enjoy the most comfortable setup possible, you’d always need top quality and responsive keyboard and mouse combo.
What to Look for in a Gaming Keyboard for PS4?
Some of the more important features that you should look for in a keyboard are:
- Increased durability
- Slim body with tactile feel and performance
- Built-in media controls
- Anti-ghosting features
Features like RGB lights and macro keys are a good edition but should not come at the expense of performance.
What to Look for in a Gaming Mouse for PS4?
Here’s what you should take into account in a mouse:
- Overall shape or design of the mouse
- Dots per Inch (DPI)
- Sensor type (laser or optical)
- Maximum tracking speed
Some other features like wired or wireless, and their exact shape and comfort depend on your personal preferences.
It’s also worth checking to see how much faster you could potentially attack in-game by testing your mouse click’s per minute score. Jump on a computer with the mouse you intend to use and take a mouse click test. See if you can beat the internet’s current record of 14 clicks per second(!). I scored a lowly 6.9 clicks per second. You can also try a CPS test 1 second to test your mouse clicking prowess.
Make sure you keep all these features in mind because, in the next section, I’m going to enlist some of the best keyboard and mouse combinations for you so that you can choose your favorite one.
What Is the Best Keyboard and Mouse Setup for PS4?
Are you looking for the best keyboard and mouse setup for your PS4? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this section, we’ll take a look at the features you should look for in a mouse and keyboard you want to use for PS4 and some of the best options available on the market.
Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo
Let’s get on with the wired combination first.
- Logitech G213 Prodigy Gaming Keyboard + G402 Gaming Mouse Hyperion Fury.
- Take care when looking at this as Amazon sometimes just sell the keyboard.
- HAVIT Rainbow LED Backlit Wired Keyboard + Right-Handed Mouse.
- This one also comes with a free headset. But it can also be found as just a keyboard and mouse combo.
- Razer Cynosa V2 – Membrane Gaming Keyboard + Death Adder V2
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
Here are some of the best wireless keyboard and mouse combos you can get your hands on.
- ZIYOU LANG Wireless Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo
- Corsair K63 Wireless Keyboard + Harpoon Wireless RGB Optical Gaming Mouse
- HORI Tactical Assault Commander Pro (TAC: PRO) KeyPad + Mouse
All of these models will give you a near-perfect gaming experience and a prominent edge over your competitors in all of the PS4 games that support the keyboard and mouse.
But wait. What about the games that DON’T support them? Is there no way to play those games with a mouse and keyboard?
Of course, there is. And that’s precisely what I will tell you about in the next section.
Can You Use a Keyboard and Mouse With Unsupported PS4 Games?
I’m sure you love playing video games on your PlayStation 4, but sometimes you may find that the controller just doesn’t quite cut it for the game you’re playing, and it doesn’t support the use of keyboard and mouse as well.
Well, don’t be disappointed! There is now a way to use a keyboard and mouse with unsupported PS4 games via an adapter.
Using an adapter allows for a much more immersive gaming experience. It opens up endless possibilities for other genres of games that don’t traditionally support the mouse and keyboard on PlayStation consoles.
So, if you’re looking to take your PS4 gaming to the next level, adapters like Xim 4 can help.
Such adapters are compatible with PS4. You just have to connect your keyboard and mouse to it, and it will translate their inputs into DualShock 4 button presses. The adapters simply trick your console into thinking that you are merely using a controller.
Other adapters with good reviews include:
- CronusMax Plus Cross Cover Gaming Adapter
- Mayflash Max Shooter One Converter
- IOGEAR KeyMander Keyboard And Mouse Adapter
However, using the adapters to solve keyboard and mouse compatibility issues does come with some cons, which we will discuss in the next section.
Pros and Cons of Using a Keyboard and Mouse With an Adapter Over Controller
If you’re like most PS4 gamers, you probably use the default DualShock 4 controller to play your games. But have you ever wondered if there are some benefits to using a keyboard and mouse instead?
It turns out that there are many pros and cons to using a keyboard and mouse with an adapter over a PS4 controller. In this section, we’ll take a look at some of the key reasons why you might (not) want to make the switch.
Pros of Using a Keyboard and Mouse With an Adapter
- It allows you to enjoy the immersive experience as you would on a PC.
- Adapters let you play an unlimited number of PS4 games on your console, even if they do not support the use of a keyboard and mouse.
Cons of Using a Keyboard and Mouse With an Adapter
- The gameplay isn’t as smooth. The PC gaming experience (or those PS4 games that support the keyboard and mouse) isn’t replicated perfectly. If you’re coming from a PC gaming mouse and keyboard background, you’ll notice the difference.
- There’s always a risk of getting your game account banned if the developers detect the use of unsupported devices. And using an adapter for mouse and keyboard is one of them.