As a PC gamer, I’ve always loved recording and sharing my gameplay online on streaming sites like YouTube and Twitch. And the other day, my friend and I were playing Resident Evil Village on the Xbox Series X, when a scene in the game, no spoilers here… popped up.
My friend was scared out of his wits, and it was so funny to watch. And this is when I first thought that recording gameplay is fun, but recording reactions is way more entertaining! This all got me thinking…
Does The Xbox Series X Support A Webcam? Yes, it does. Although Microsoft has not launched a dedicated webcam for the Xbox Series X yet. You can however use a third-party webcam with your console, and you can use it to record footage in order to stream it on sites like Twitch.
Let’s check out what you need to have in place before you can start recording with a webcam on your Xbox Series X.
What Do You Need To Do Before You Can Connect A Webcam To Your Xbox Series X?
Now that you know that webcams do work on the Xbox Series X console, there’s just one tiny step you need to cover before you connect your webcam to your console.
Check out the points below:
- You need to make sure that the webcam you use is compatible with the Xbox Series X console. There’s a really simple way of doing this, make a note of your webcam’s name and check it out against this list created by Microsoft.
Bonus tips: What’s the deal with the webcams on Microsoft’s list?
- The webcam that provides the best quality, in my opinion, is the Logitech C922 Pro. This would be my choice because you can stream in 720p at 60fps, and the picture quality is very realistic.
- But, if you’re looking for a budget webcam to stream, then the Microsoft LIFECAM HD-3000 would be ideal for you. You can still record in 720p and it comes with a neat universal attachment, so you don’t need to worry about plug-problems!
- The Microsoft LifeCam Studio, on the other hand, provides the best price to performance ratio. It comes with a 1080p sensor, it auto focuses and it’s got an epic microphone, so you’ll get finer audio output.
You then download the Twitch app onto your Xbox Series X console through the Xbox Store and sign in with your Twitch ID.
- You have allowed the console to broadcast the captured footage.
Last but not the least, you’ll need to allow your Xbox Series X console to broadcast the snapshots and video you capture with your webcam.
Here’s how you allow your console to broadcast your webcam’s footage:
- Press the XBOX button on your controller.
- Navigate to the ‘Online safey & family’ under General in the menu settings.
- Click on ‘Privacy & online safety’ and then ‘Xbox privacy’.
- Click on ‘View details & customize’ and then ‘Game content’.
- Here you’ll find the ‘Broadcast Gameplay’ permission bar. Click on Allow.
After completing all the steps above you can start using your webcam with your console. Keep reading to find out how you can start recording from your webcam on your Xbox Series X console.
How To Start Recording With A Webcam On Your Xbox Series X?
Now that all the basics are out of the way, it’s time to plug in your webcam, find the best angle to capture the video footage, and start streaming!
Follow these steps:
- You have three USB ports on your Xbox Series X console. You need to plug your webcam into 1 of these ports.
- To start broadcasting from your Xbox Series X you need to open the Twitch app up and log in. You may be sent a code to verify it’s you first.
- When you’re on the app select ‘Broadcast’.
- Then you need to select ‘Start Streaming’ and that’s it.
- If you have an Xbox Series X Elite controller, you can press the ‘Share button’ to start streaming. You will not find this button on the standard Xbox Series X controller.
So, whenever you want to start broadcasting, click on ‘Start Streaming’ or the share button, if you have one, and the live stream will begin.
Some people are skeptical about streaming their games because they think it reduces their FPS rate and impacts their overall gaming experience. But how true is this rumor?
Let me answer that for you with my personal experience.
Does Streaming Impact Your Gaming Experience On The Xbox Series X?
I know some people who have amazing gaming skills but choose not to stream their games because they think that broadcasting on Twitch will reduce their in-game FPS rate and game quality.
But generally speaking, streaming will not hugely impact the streaming-gaming experience of Xbox Series X users.
While it’s true that streaming may affect gaming quality and FPS rates on PC, it’s not the case for the Xbox Series X console, because the console has hardware inside that allows gamers to broadcast their footage onto Twitch without lag appearing.
The Xbox Series X console is capped at 4k @60fps, and Microsoft has made sure that there are no frame drops, even when you stream. While PC gamers have to upgrade their hardware components to stream games without FPS reduction, Xbox Series X gamers don’t have to worry about a thing when it comes to broadcasting on Twitch.
I have broadcasted numerous gameplay videos from my Xbox Series X on Twitch with my Logitech C922 Pro Stream Webcam, and I have never experienced frame drops.
Of course, it goes without saying that a fast internet connection is needed to stream in the best quality. But, it’s also worth pointing out that even if your internet connection is slow, it may make your stream on Twitch laggy, but not your gaming experience on the Xbox Series X console!
Now you know that streaming is going to have very little impact on your gaming experience, let’s look at a couple of dos and don’ts of streaming! I’ll tell you all about them below, and you should take note of what’s being said because ignoring these points could be quite costly for you!
The Dos And Don’ts Of Webcam Streaming On The Xbox Series X?
Streaming on the Xbox Series X console is as easy as ABC, but there are things that you need to keep in mind to prevent damage to your console and to your Twitch account.
First and foremost, make sure your console gets plenty of airflow.
Streaming is a CPU-intensive task, and even though your Xbox Series X can easily handle 4k @60FPS, the processor will still get hot and the cooling fans will have to rotate faster to compensate for the extra temperature.
If you don’t provide sufficient airflow to your console, you run the risk of shortening its lifespan or even burning it out. To learn more about overheating issues in the Xbox Series X, take a look at our article, ‘Does The Xbox Series X Overheat?’ Take note of the cooling tips to prevent future issues!
The second thing you must be extra careful about is remembering that your webcam is recording live footage. You must be extra vigilant about what’s happening in your surroundings.
Displaying any activity that goes against Twitch’s rules can result in an instant ban. Fortunately, there is a solution! Simply add a small delay in your live stream on Twitch, so that you can quickly shut off your broadcast in case things go sideways. Or you can ask someone to keep an eye on things for you.
Don’t use any inappropriate or offensive language when you’re streaming. This typically results in a ban.
Do remember to engage with your audience when streaming. People won’t come back to watch your stream if you don’t chat and explain what you’re doing in your videos to them.
Although the majority of gamers are adults, a significant proportion of the gaming community is made up of under-18s. In fact, as many as 76% of children in the United States play video games...
Macs are not the most incredible gaming machines, but they can be if you make some fruitful tweaks and add additional gear to your system. In this guide, learn about the hardware and software...