One of the most talked-about things when it comes to being successful and growing on YouTube is consistency. You’ll find plenty of advice telling you that you need to be consistent to achieve your YouTube goals.
You’ll often find consistency mistaken for uploading videos regularly. No doubt regularity is an important part of being consistent, yet, it cannot be the complete definition of consistency. It also depends on how well your videos are made, how interesting your content is, etc.
If you upload a video every day but the gameplay is not interesting or is too boring, it would be of no use. How to improve the quality of content? We will discuss it too, but for now, let’s discuss consistency.
So coming towards the question, “How often should I make game videos?” The best video uploading method is to upload 1-2 videos a week. Uploading a reasonable amount of videos that have quality content is much better than uploading more videos containing poor content.
How Often Do Other Youtube Channels Post Videos?
If we want to estimate a perfect amount of videos for uploading, of course, we will need to first check how often other youtube channels upload videos.
Now if we are talking about other channels, there are different categories of such channels. Some are small (less than 1000 subs) while some of them are channels that are watched a lot (like IGN). So for calculating the average first, we will discuss smaller channels and then talk about bigger channels.
- Uploading strategies of small channels:
By small channels, we mean channels that have less than or equal to 1000 subscribers.
In the above-attached screenshot, we can see that the creator has only made two videos this week.
Similarly, this creator has also uploaded only 2 videos last week.
In this channel, there are also two videos streamed in a week.
Therefore from all these examples, it is noticeable that only two videos are uploaded a week.
- Uploading Strategies of old/big channels:
Large creators have large audiences. They have quite attractive thumbnails, titles, and content. These creators are putting a lot of time and effort into the creation of their content. Most of them are doing this as their main job. Some of them even have teams for different purposes such as editing, research, etc.
An example of such a category is IGN.
IGN (Imagine Games Network) is an American video game and entertainment media website. IGN has a great number of followers and uploads videos frequently.
In the above-attached screenshot, we can see that IGN uploads videos much more frequently than smaller channels. Sometimes 2-3 videos are uploaded in a single day. The reason behind this is that YouTube may push your content because you’re uploading so many videos. Daily uploading also provides the benefit of getting seen by your audience more frequently.
How Often Should You Make a Youtube Gaming Video?
So after viewing the uploading strategies of other youtube channels, the unanswered question is “how often should I upload?”. I would suggest that you start by uploading 1 video a week. Such an amount of content can be easily produced and won’t cause creative burnout. Some content just takes days or even weeks to produce. So releasing videos daily simply isn’t even possible for every type of content.
With a slower schedule you can produce extra videos for future uploads.
This way you can maintain a balance between work and your personal life. Thus it promotes a healthy work-life balance. After all, work is not the most important thing in life.
Working ahead keeps you from feeling the pressure to feed the hungry YouTube beast.
- Consistency is more important than inconsistent high volume:
Youtube’s algorithm is designed in such a way that it values consistency more than volume when it comes to publishing content. Here are several reasons why you should be more consistent:
- Creating videos is just like hanging out with a friend. The more often you hang out, the closer you get to that friend. The same happens between us and the audience if we are uploading consistently.
- If you are showing up consistently, you will get regular feedback from the audience which helps to improve your content.
- Being consistent by producing a video every week gives you the time to create systems and processes for slowly but inevitably improving your content and your Youtube business.
- Youtube rewards consistent channels by pushing them higher in the search and recommended lists.
- If you are consistent, the people know when to expect your videos.
- Posting 1 video a week when starting will give you the time you need to promote your youtube video such as by commenting on other videos.
If you over-stretch yourself by uploading tons of videos, the quality will suffer for it. So it’s better to be consistent and produce quality work rather than focusing on high volumes of (probably) mediocre content.
How to Improve Your Youtube Gaming Channel’s Consistency?
If you want to achieve success on YouTube, you will need to publish new videos consistently. Consistency is one of the most important aspects of growing a channel, and YouTube does reward it. So, if you want to have a chance at success, you should prioritize consistency so you can be rewarded with more views, subscribers, and channel growth.
Often, people start a YouTube channel to grow an audience fast. Many people are not prepared for the long-term journey that is required for every content creator to go on to achieve success. Consistency cannot be done in the short term. If you want to achieve success, you’ll need to be consistent in the long term.
People sometimes find it difficult to be consistent. However, there are several steps that you can follow to become consistent. Some of them are:
The most important thing is to stick to a schedule. Decide the days on which you will upload a video. For example, if you choose Tuesday and Friday, make sure to upload a video on these days. By this, your followers understand when to expect a video from you, and you will be fulfilling their expectations.
Keep Things Simple:
If you have a full-time job, a family to take care of, or you go to school, then keeping it simple is better than nothing at all. Sometimes we are busy in our routine and cannot find time to create content. This happens because we have planned to do lots of editing, do some special tricks in gameplay videos, etc. In such situations, it is recommended to just make a simple video instead of making it a complex one.
Keep your videos short:
If you want to be consistent, keep your videos short: Under 10 minutes. Longer videos take more time and energy to make. Time and energy you may not have after a hard day’s work.
Keep Editing to Minimum:
Editing video and audio is an incredibly time consuming task. When editing game footage, you literally have to rewatch all your footage over and over again, while making small cuts here and there. That’s why I recommend at a minimum you do these few things:
- Write an outline for your video. It’s basically a plan that’ll help you keep retakes to a minimum.
- If you have the time, write a script. I personally don’t like writing scripts as I think they make videos sound a little wooden.
- If you have a particular video to make such as a tutorial, rehearse going through your tutorial once or twice first.
- Whenever you make a mistake, clap your hands together hard. This will create a very loud sound that should be easily visible on the audio track while editing. That way you know that you need to remove footage before and after the loud clap.
Shoot Day Checklist:
- Select a proper time for video recording.
- Select a game to play.
- Outline the content for the video. Decide what things to include.
- Practice doing a certain mission that is to be included.
- Make sure to have no noise in the background.
- Make sure to sit in a well-lit place (if you are recording yourself too).
- Go ahead and record the gameplay.
- Edit the gameplay and upload it.
How to Improve Content Quality?
Once you have achieved consistency, the next thing to focus on will be the quality of content. Of course, if you are making videos continuously but the content is not appealing, then the channel will not grow anyways. So here are some steps to improve the quality of content:
- Focus On One Game At a Time:
It’ll be tempting to play every game you own when you start your YouTube channel. You may upload some Fortnite videos because of the game’s insane popularity. Two weeks later, it may seem like a good idea to sprinkle in some Minecraft content. Youtube’s algorithm seems to reward a simple content strategy.
- Get the Right Equipment:
You don’t need lots of equipment for a gaming channel, but you still need a few things. Some of them are:
- Try to purchase a good quality microphone. It will help for better voice overs and the viewers will listen to you with ease.
- Purchase a better screen recording software which you need to record the action on your console/pc.
- Another important thing is a digital camera. This can be a DSLR camera or a simple webcam. The more you invest the better quality you get.
- If you are showing your face, make sure to create a well-lit shot. This can be done with the help of ring lights etc.
- Join a Gaming Community:
Thinking about the video ideas is one of the difficult tasks. Sometimes it becomes really difficult to think of one. The simplest solution is to not do it alone. The best way is to join a group of gamers i.e community. You can join an online community like discord and then pay attention to what people say.
- Turn Gaming Trends into Videos:
A trending topic can be a great video opportunity for you. You can take advantage of gaming news or anything relevant to your channel. Depending on how many views per hour the topic is getting, you may have an opportunity to compete with older videos on YouTube.
- Experiment with Youtube Shorts:
Shorts are for people watching Youtube on their phones. They are great for creating trailers, funny videos, etc. They are a good choice for gaming too. You can post some funny in-game moments, certain glitches, and some tutorials. It will help you to gain a great number of viewers.
Creator burnout is when a content creator just feels tired or bored of creating content. This is most common in the gaming world with people feeling burnt out with their favorite games. Creators don’t feel any enjoyment out of those games anymore.
Initially, content creators try to make as many videos as possible to gain new subscribers. Now it’s natural that if you try to do anything for long periods, you will eventually become tired of it. One of the biggest mistakes that content creators make is “doing too much”.
If you think that uploading a video every day and staying on stream for 7 hours daily will make you successful then you are wrong. It will only cause you burnout. You should instead aim for a realistic schedule. You should try to understand that in content creation, you need such a schedule that can be followed for the long term. In the beginning, you may follow a real tough schedule, but it won’t last for the long term.
Here are some tips to prevent burnout:
- Don’t force it. If you aren’t feeling it, you won’t produce quality work and your audience will detect it.
- Make a schedule and stick to it. A proper routine can go a long way.
- Take a break. It’s ok to rest. Let your mind re-energize and rejuvenate.
To sum it all up, be consistent, focus on quality, and avoid burnout. That’s it, that’s the whole Youtube uploading deal. Of course, it also depends on what type of content you are producing. You cannot upload 40 minute long game reviews each week alone, for that you’ll need a whole team. However, if you are consistent and consistently good, you will find growth and a loyal audience.