I’m guessing that you’re reading this article because you’re thinking of buying the new Xbox Series X and would like to know if the console comes with controllers.
If I’m right you have come to the right place.
In this post, I’ll share with you an in-depth look at the new Xbox Series X controller.
Some of the things I will touch on include the Xbox Series X controller design, features, and pricing.
But first, let me answer your question.
Does the Xbox Series X come with a controller? Yes, the Xbox Series X comes with one Xbox wireless controller, which is shipped along with an Ultra High-Speed HDMI cable, AC power cable, and two AA batteries. The Xbox Series X controller is a slightly improved version of the Xbox One controller. Some of the noticeable changes on the Xbox Series X controller include a hybrid D-pad that allows easier diagonal movement while gaming and a share button.
Now that you know the Xbox Series X does indeed come with a controller read on to find out more about this next-gen controller.
What features does the Xbox Series X controller have?
Unlike the PS5 which got a brand new controller, the DualSense, which has a lot of improvements when compared to the PS4’s DualShock 4, the Xbox Series X controller has few differences from the Xbox One gamepad.
So, it is not a totally new gamepad.
Microsoft simply refined the design elements you loved on the Xbox One controller and added a few features to make a better controller.
Here are the key features on the Xbox Series X controller:
- A new D-pad. This is probably the first change you’ll notice on the Xbox Series X controller. Instead of having a four-way pad like the Xbox One controller, the new hybrid control has an eight-way pad which makes it easier for you to crush combos without your fingers flagging.
- Textured bumpers, triggers, and sculpted surfaces for better grip and enhance comfort as you play.
- A dedicated share button. I’m happy Microsoft decided to include this feature on their new controller, it was long overdue. Now you can use the share button found in the middle of the Xbox Series X controller to take screenshots and videos of your game victories and show them off to family and friends on social media networks.
- Backward compatibility. You can use the new Xbox Series X controller with the Xbox One consoles.
- Xbox Wireless and Bluetooth technology that allows you to wirelessly connect the controller to the Xbox Series X console. This feature can also be used to connect the Xbox Series X controller to your PC, mobile phone, and tablet for wireless gaming. The controller will use Bluetooth Low Energy for fast and reliable wireless connections to other devices.
- Dynamic Latency Input system. This feature ensures there is no lag between pressing the controller’s buttons and frames on-screen.
- A 3.5mm stereo headset jack that works with compatible headsets.
- A USB-C port is located at the bottom of the Xbox Series X controller. You can use this port to charge your controller as you play. Note, however, that the Xbox Series X doesn’t come with a USB-C charging cable. So you’ll have to buy an Xbox Series X Charging cable. You can get one of these cables affordably on Amazon. Alternatively, you could use your phone’s USB-C cable if you want to save some money.
As you can see the Xbox Series X controller has some good features which give you a better user experience while gaming on your Series X console.
What battery does the Xbox Series X controller use?
The Xbox Series X controller uses disposable AA batteries, rechargeable AA batteries, or rechargeable battery packs instead of an internal rechargeable battery like the PS5 DualSense wireless controller.
Like many gamers, I have questioned why Microsoft has refused to include a built-in rechargeable battery in their controllers since the days of the Xbox 360.
Microsoft Executives have defended the decision not to include an in-built battery with their controllers saying “When we talk to gamers there is a big group that wants AAs and another that wants a rechargeable battery. So having flexibility is the way to please both groups of gamers. You can use a rechargeable battery pack and it works just like it does on the Elite controller, but it is a separate thing.”
In my opinion, I don’t think it would cause much uproar if Xbox controllers had an internal rechargeable battery.
Thankfully, the Xbox Series X does come with a pair of AA batteries to use with its controller.
These batteries are however not rechargeable so you have to get a new pair of disposable AA batteries every time they run out or save money by buying rechargeable batteries.
I use the Panasonic Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries with Charger, which I bought from Amazon, with my Xbox Series X controller.
These come as a set of 4 and when fully charged a pair can give you over 80 hours of game time depending on the accessories you use with your Xbox controller.
Microsoft says AA batteries last for up to 40 hours when used with the Xbox Series X controller.
So you’ll be getting double the playtime from the Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries, and you won’t have to spend money to get new batteries once their charge runs out.
All you have to do is remove the drained pair of batteries, place them in their charger so they can recharge, and insert the second pair into the battery compartment at the back of the Xbox Series X controller to continue gaming.
How much is an Xbox Series X controller?
If you plan to play your Xbox Series X with your family or friends you might have to buy another controller.
Currently, the Xbox Series X controller retails from about $55 on Amazon.
But before you get your credit card out I have some good news for you.
If you have an Xbox One controller laying around somewhere, dust it up because you can use it with the Xbox Series X.
Microsoft made the Xbox One controller forward-compatible making it possible for the gamepad to work with both the Xbox Series X and S.
As the Xbox Series X continues to be rolled out the prices of the Xbox One controller could become cheaper because a lot of gamers will be opting to buy the newer controller.
Even now I’m sure if you shop around you can grab a bargain on the Xbox One controller.
So if you’re looking to save your dollars you could opt for an Xbox one controller instead of the pricier Xbox Series X controller.
If you don’t mind spending on an Xbox controller then go for the Xbox Wireless Elite Controller 2.
This is an expensive controller but it has some features that make it worth the price. Its features include:
- A controller grip made from textured rubber for extra grip particularly if your palms sweat as you game.
- A geometric disc-style d-pad designed for those precise and complicated gaming moves required at more difficult game levels.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- An internal rechargeable battery
- The key selling point of the Xbox Elite 2 is that its controls can be customized. For example, you could set how hard you need to press a button for a click to be registered. You can also create up to three profiles on the controller, which means you can have different control setups for the different games you play.